Saturday, July 14, 2007

WaaZuBee Cafe (Commercial Dr)

What is summer without a nice day spent outdoors? So far, my summer vacation has been a lazy sludge of summer classes and DVDS, so it was a great pleasure for me to join my sister and her friend on their kayaking endeavor a few days ago. We went up to Deep Cove and enjoyed a couple hours of kayaking. When rowing, water magically transforms from this fluctuating, fluid substance to some thick paste that is impossible to get through. Of course, at the end of the day, we were left famished and decided to stop by WaaZuBee Café on Commercial Drive.

It was a hot day, and strangely, it was even hotter in WaaZuBee. As we stewed in the dark, dank restaurant, I examined my surroundings. The space was reminiscent of a tacky dive. I could easily envision it being the dorm room of a college student or a sleazy pool hall. I put these prejudices aside and decided to keep an open mind.

We started with garlic mayo fries, and I ordered ginger sesame beef medallions with honey glazed roasted potatoes, Gouda cauliflower gratin, and roasted vegetables ($19). They mentioned truffle oil in the meal description but I really did not detect a hint of any. I was really disappointed by the sides. I was excited to try the gratin, because I’ve never had one made with Gouda, but what I got was huge cauliflower chunks sitting in watery, flavorless sauce. There was none of the creamy cheesiness which is usually associated with gratin. The honeyed potatoes were overcooked – hard thick crust formed on the outer layers with dry potato inside. The roasted vegetables were extremely salty, and the water was leeched out of them. The meal was not a complete loss though. I did enjoy the beef medallions, though overcooked. It had a subtle flavour similar to Korean barbecue, but less obvious.


Sorry for the low quality pictures. My Blackberry is just not good for pictures. Until I start bringing my digital camera to restaurants, the quality of my pictures will be this poor. :(

I do recommend the fries though. Nothing like a heap of fried potatoes with a side of mayo to curb any issues you have with the rest of the meal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

too bad the hippie restaurant let ya down. but they can't all be awesome!