Saturday, July 14, 2007

Hamilton Street Grill

This week has been oddly quite nature-oriented. Normally, I spend my days indoors, but yesterday, my friend and I went to Second Beach at Stanley Park. I was hoping to get a little bronze colour in my pallid skin (which is pale from all the indoor activities I enjoy), so we lay out in the sun for hours until the time came when both of us were hungry. We walked through Yaletown and decided to eat at Hamilton Street Grill.

Something about the restaurant's layout is very appealing to me. The atmosphere was nice but still casual, perhaps due to the kitschy artwork on the walls (which was not quite so appealing, admittedly).

The server was extremely friendly. My friend and I noticed something odd about the staff though. We noticed that all of the waiters that night were bald. We weren't sure whether this was just an odd coincidence or something else.. Anyway, he presented us with warm bread and an herbed butter, which was really delicious! The bread was nice and soft, which I preferred to the crusty variety I normally get, and the butter was flavourful but not overpowering to the bread's own subtle flavours.

I ordered the Pacific Halibut dish ($24), which was quite out of character for me. Those close to me know that I absolutely hate seafood, and will usually order red meat. But after having fish and chips recently, I decided to give halibut another chance. The dish was served with a sundried tomato cream sauce and came with two grilled prawns, mashed potatoes, and roasted zucchini and green beans. I loved everything about this dish (with the exception of the sad zucchini left alone on my plate). The halibut was so light and didn't have a strong fishy taste, just something similar to chicken but more tender. It went well with the sauce. The mashed potatoes were velvet smooth, and a good compliment to the fish. The beans were seasoned but not soggy. I was so happy that I tried this, as my first fish order in a restaurant is really a great success. Hopefully I will be trying many more later on.

beauuutiful!


My friend ordered the Cobb Salad, as she had never tried bleu cheese before (what a day for firsts!), and she told me she was pleased with her meal as well, particularly the beef. It seemed like quite a large salad.

quick picture - we just wanted to dig in to our meals


Because I had eaten virtually everything on the plate (save for the zucchini), I was much too full to order dessert. I will be coming back though, and I'm eyeing the vanille bean creme brulee.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The creme brule is nice but the gingerbread pudding is really the best dessert on the menu.

Glad you enjoyed.

Neil Wyles
Hamilton Street Grill

Anonymous said...

tsk tsk, leaving that lone zucchini on your plate. how v8 commercial are you? haha ;) and you are right, that cobb salad photo did suck. but yes, hopefully this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship between you and seafood.